Monday 3 July 2017

Duotone Cowl

I had no intention of knitting the Duotone Cowl, a free pattern by Orange Flower Yarn, that is until I saw Helen from Giddy Knits mention in her Ravelry group that she was going to knit one for the Summer Stripe Along CAL. Two colours are worked in a series of stripes which switch in size half way around the cowl. As it's knit in stocking stitch, I thought it would make a nice easy project for when I'm watching TV. As it happens, there were a couple of things which challenged me in this pattern.


Firstly, a crochet provisional cast on is required, something I haven't done before, but it was easy enough with the help of a You Tube tutorial. It's so easy these days to learn something new, it seems there's a tutorial for almost everything on You Tube. A provisional cast on is a removable crochet chain which allows you to keep your stitches live so that once the chain is removed, the cast on stitches may still be worked. The waste yarn is removed when the knitting is complete, ready to graft the ends together. This isn't a very good photo but you can see that I used an orange yarn when I worked the provisional cast on and this is the crochet chain which is ultimately removed.


The second thing which was challenging was the grafting of both ends. The cowl is knit in the round, like a long tube, and then kitchener stitch is used at the end, after the waste yarn is removed from the provisional cast on, to graft the two ends together. The kitchener stitch was easy enough, I use it on the toes of the socks I knit, the thing which was rather tricky was manipulating two circular needles in a position to get started. I managed it in the end though and I must say that the result is far more pleasing than it would have been had I had to sew the ends together.


When I came to start this project, I decided I would use yarn I already had in my stash. The only DK yarn I had was Stylecraft Special DK so I thought I'd go with that. I've got a purple windcheater jacket which I use when I walk Archie so I went with wisteria and silver colourways, I think these will go well with my jacket and being knit in acrylic yarn, will be easy enough to throw in the washing machine when dirty.


I followed the pattern exactly and I like the length it's turned out to be, however, it would be simple to make the cowl longer, so that it can wrap around your neck a couple of times, should you so wish.


I'm really pleased how it's turned out, the stripe effect works very well. I'm all set now for the cold weather when it arrives, though I'm hoping we get a scorching hot summer first.

36 comments:

  1. Your cowl looks wonderful, Jo. Let's hope you don't get a chance to wear it any time soon, though! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope not, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a good summer.

      Delete
  2. That's really lovely Jo & such pretty colours. I've knitted all my life, but never heard of kitchener stitch. OK, I'm also guilty of having a hassle with circular knitting needles & giving up & never touching them again. Maybe now is the time to try again & aah, use You tube, something else I've never really looked at properly. Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the colours will go perfectly with my jacket. Kitchener stitch is a way to graft stitches together, it's used for the toes of socks, amongst other things. I love circular needles, I'm a total convert, it was just a bit tricky organising two at the same time in a bid to start the kitchener stitch off. I must admit that You Tube is the place I look first these days for any tutorials, there's usually some kind soul who has uploaded a video on how to do most things.

      Delete
  3. Love the colors, Jo! You are so right about You Tube. I signed up for 'Good Gardening Videos' and I receive the latest every month. There's always something new to learn. It's hot here which I don't mind but also very humid which I hate. Enjoy the rest of your summer. You'll be wearing your new cowl before you know it. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Tube is brilliant when you want to know how to do something, quick and easy to use, and the information you require is usually there. I don't like humidity either, it's cooled down here after our mini heatwave, I'm hoping that it's not the end of summer and that we get some more nice weather again soon.

      Delete
  4. However did we manage before you tube, lol you can be sure that whatever you need to find out someone will have done a video for it :-)
    I love your cowl, such pretty colours. I like that it is double sided as well, it's going to be lovely and warm. I've never done kitchener stitch, but yes the results are amazing, no join to see at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those years without the internet in general, I couldn't do without it now. I like that the cowl is double sided too, it doesn't matter now when the inside shows as it's exactly the same as the outside. You'll be learning kitchener stitch now you've started sock knitting.

      Delete
  5. I think you tube is amazing, it's how I taught myself to crochet. I haven't heard of kitchener stitch or a provisional cast on, I feel my skills must be quite basic, so much to learn. I love how the size of the stripes changes, it makes it interesting to look at xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taught myself to crochet with the help of You Tube videos too. There's always something new to learn whatever your hobby, it would be quite dull really if not. I enjoyed knitting the cowl and I'm pleased with how it's turned out.

      Delete
  6. YouTube and I are best friends at the moment, there are so many "jobs" that need doing it would cost a fortune if we got workmen in for everything so we are tackling some things ourselves. I love the cowl, a beautiful colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there's lots of things you can have a go at around the house with the help of You Tube, it's amazing what tutorials are on there. I had this yarn already in my stash, it was good to use something up without having to buy more yarn especially for the project.

      Delete
  7. Love the way the stripes change size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives such a good effect when the main colour changes half way through.

      Delete
  8. Yes please to a scorching hot summer first! I really like this cowl, I'm rally impressed with the join, you can barely see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Kitchener stitch is really good to join stitches without creating a seam, as it would if it was sewn. It's used on the toes of socks too.

      Delete
  9. It looks lovely, although I do hope it's a while until you get to wear it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm still holding out for a good summer this year, I think we're due one.

      Delete
  10. Kitchener stitch now you're speaking a foreign language but it all looks flippin marvelous. I Seriously it looks really lovely and so professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased with it, it's a lovely pattern and I wouldn't mind knitting more for gifts.

      Delete
  11. Very nice Jo. I like the way the stripes swap over halfway round and like Ernie Wise, you can't see the join!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. I like the way the stripes change too, it adds a little extra interest to the pattern, and to the knitting of it.

      Delete
  12. I've just finished all the knitting on mine. Too late tonight to attempt the grafting, but wish me luck for tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can do it as neatly as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely did the right thing leaving the grafting for another day, it's not something you want to be doing with tired eyes. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished cowl.

      Delete
  13. You should be pleased, it looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased with it, I hope I don't need to wear it anytime soon though.

      Delete
  14. That is so beautiful, Jo! Not only beautifully made but gorgeous colours. I sometimes admire items that people have made on various blogs, and then I think, would I really want to wear that? The answer is often No, but this I would wear! It's really lovely. I admire anything so well-made as I can't knit, sew or crochet! Totally useless, that's me!
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not useless at all, we all have things we're good at and things we're not so good at. I really liked the pattern when I saw it and it's worked up well in the colours I've used. I'm sure I'll get lots of wear out of it when winter comes round.

      Delete
  15. A stripy purple triumph! This will be the perfect accessory for those cooler doggy walks.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be perfect for the cooler days, not that I want to wear it any time soon.

      Delete
  16. Gorgeous! You are certainly set up for autumn!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, I just hope we get a lovely summer first, it's raining today.

      Delete
  17. It does look very nice Jo, a winner for Autumn and beyond!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should keep me nice and snuggly on my dog walks.

      Delete
  18. Great knitty finish, love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour goes really well with my dog walking jacket so it will keep me nice and warm when winter comes round.

      Delete