Saturday 3 September 2016

50 Before 50 - Part One

It's my 48th birthday today. Life seems to be rushing by, just two more years now until I'm fifty. I've seen a few lists around of people wanting to complete thirty things before they're thirty, forty before they're forty or fifty before they're fifty. I thought I'd make one myself so I've been jotting things down as I've thought of them.

1. Keep a journal.
I do already keep a journal but I write in it very infrequently. It's still interesting reading back through my thoughts from a few years ago so I think it would be good to increase the number of entries I make. I aim to be writing in it a few times each week.


2. Start swimming regularly.
I have to admit that I don't do a lot of exercise. I walk, mainly because I've got a dog so I have to, but I used to love swimming and it would be good to get back in to it for the exercise alone. I'm sure it would be something I'll enjoy doing too.

3. Get my fortune read.
I don't really believe in it but I think it would be fun.

4. See a Shakespeare play.
I remember going to see Hamlet on a trip to Stratford upon Avon with school and I'm ashamed to say that I fell asleep. I'd like to make amends and see another play, this time watching it the whole way through.

5. Finish Joyful World cross stitch.
I'm only on the month of March at the moment so I've got a long way to go to get it finished.


6. Visit Wales.
I've been to Wales three times, once when my brother got married as his wife (now ex) came from there, once for my niece's christening and once for her eighteenth birthday party, and each time was to the same place in mid Wales. I'd like to see a different area.

7. Take a boat ride.
Perhaps it will be a pleasure cruise or maybe a pedalo, who knows.

8. Sleep in a caravan.
I've only slept in a caravan once and that's when I was about four years old. Mick's not keen on trying camping so this is the closest I can get.

9. Read Wuthering Heights.
I've wanted to read Wuthering Heights for years but still haven't got round to it. Perhaps putting it on this list will encourage me to do so.

10. Book on to a workshop or course.
There's lots of things I'd like to learn, the only thing holding me back is finding appropriate classes. I must look harder.

11. Fly a kite.
It's years since I flew a kite. This is a good one for a windy day.

12. Have a health check.
My doctor's surgery keeps asking me if I want to attend for a health check but I keep putting it off. It's something I really need to take up.

13. Explore Leeds Art Gallery.
I can't remember the last time I went to the art gallery. We have lots of museums and galleries in Leeds but they're places I never visit.

14. Visit a Christmas market.
I absolutely love Christmas and markets are great places to get in the Christmas spirit, I love the atmosphere.

15. Have a manicure.
I don't do much with my nails. I don't bite them but I always cut them short and I rarely wear nail varnish. I should make more of them.

16. Subscribe to a magazine.
I love magazines but I rarely buy them unless they're on a special deal as they're so expensive. I'm going to treat myself.


17. Pick fruit at a Pick Your Own farm.
I've really missed the strawberries from my allotment this year, supermarket offerings never live up to freshly picked fruit. A Pick Your Own farm is a good substitute to growing your own.


18. Try a food I've never tried before.
We eat very plain meals as I live in a family of fussy eaters. I'd be happy to eat different things to the meals we do eat but go along with the rest of them for ease. Now that there's going to be just the two of us at home, it's time to try some different things.

19. Take a train ride.
I love train travel but I rarely use public transport since I gave up work. I sometimes get the train in to Leeds but it's only a fifteen minute journey.

20. Take part in a charity walk.
There's always lots of sponsored charity events going on and it's good to raise money for worthwhile causes.

21. Lose two stone.
I've been weighed today and I want to be at least two stone lighter when I weigh myself again on my fiftieth birthday.

22. Touch the white horse of Kilburn.
We visited The White Horse Of Kilburn a couple of years ago but didn't get right up to it. This time I want to take a walk through the woods and get up close.


23. Go to the opera.
I've never seen an opera, though my mum and dad are both big fans so I've grown up with opera music in the house.

24. Watch a whole cricket match.
Both Mick and Daniel play cricket but I've never watched a match the whole way through. Mick's given up asking if I'm going to watch so I shall just surprise him one week and turn up. I think I shall try and make it a week when they're both playing.

25. Go to Blackpool to see the illuminations.
Daniel and Eleanor were only little when we last went to see the illuminations, I remember them standing up and sticking their heads through the sun roof to get a better look. The illuminations usually run from the beginning of September to the beginning of November.

I'll stop there for now, I think twenty five things are enough for one post. I'll list the remaining twenty five things on my list in another post.

I've been very spoilt on my birthday, lovely cards and gifts, chocolate and flowers. Daniel's coming home this afternoon and we're all going for a meal tonight.

Don't forget, if you haven't already entered my giveaway, you've got until midday on Wednesday the 7th of September 2016 to do so, just leave a comment on my Sixth Blog Anniversary Giveaway post.

73 comments:

  1. First of all, Happy Birthday, JO! My goodness, 'only' 48! No'but a child, har, har! Just you wait, girl, it's my birthday on the 10th and I will be ... well, my Mum used to say, when asked her age, "I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!"
    I love your list, there are some things which I'd put at the top, such as get a health check. This is important, so remove it from wishful thinking and do it, girl. I have regularly had health checks, cervical smears when younger and then mammograms when older, and that saved my life. Don't put off anything to do with health, Blackpool can wait!
    Shakespeare? Well, even the Bard had his off days. Choose something witty, I'd say Twelfth Night, if you get the opportunity.
    Opera? Again, choose wisely as some are dire and some are wonderful. Some are also very long (Wagner's Ring Cycle, for example.) I love Mozart, but some of his can go on seemingly forever. I always said The Marriage of Figaro would be great without it being in four parts, three should be quite sufficient. I also love Fidelio (Beethoven's only opera - the prisoners' chorus is very moving.)
    Now treat yourself - have that manicure, it's lovely when your nails are professionally 'done'. OK the effects don't last long because as soon as you do a bit of gardening, or chop veg, sure as eggs is eggs, you will damage a nail!
    Take out a sub to a magazine. You must be allowed one regular treat!
    Oh, and visit your art gallery/galleries! Most of them have cafes, too, so you could then indulge in a lovely afternoon tea! Go for it!

    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My grandma always used that saying when asked her age too. I do usually go for all my health checks, a close eye has been kept on me over the years with me having had cancer, it's just this well woman check that I keep putting off, but I will get round to it. I'm looking forward to ticking off all the other things on my list.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Jo, I am 48 soon to be 49 , have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The years are whizzing by, aren't they. Perhaps you should make a list of things to do before you're 50 too seeing as we're so close in age.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday. The older you get the quicker time goes. Doing the things on your list will give you a sense of achievement. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's very true, a year used to seem forever, now it goes by in the blink of an eye.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! That's certainly an interesting and varied list. Good luck with doing them all. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think the variety of things on the list will keep me interested.

      Delete
  5. Hey JO,
    I like this list of yours very much. There are quite a few that would make my list. The manicure sounds very appealing right now. I have awful gardener nails.
    Happy birthday!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I seem to have quite strong nails, it's not often they break. I think it's probably due to the fact that I keep them quite short so I suppose it would be nice to let them grow a bit and have them painted.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday, Jo! I like your list - at least it's full of things that are do-able. Lots of other lists I've seen have things on them that you think "what?" or "why?". Yours is much more interesting than those! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've seen lists which have things on them such as sky diving or wing walking. I've put things on my list which I have a chance of doing, I'm not a daredevil so it's pointless putting things on it which I know I'd never do.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful list! I did a "Project 60" leading up to my sixtieth birthday and it was brilliant. I had so much support from everyone who knew I was doing it.

    I was interested to see you want to see a Shakespeare play. Have you come across Oddsocks Theatre Company. They're a touring company who use various venues all over the country (including outdoor performances in the summer) and their performances are always VERY accessible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you wrote about Project 60 on your blog, I shall have to have a look and see. I haven't come across Oddsocks Theatre Company but they sound really interesting, I'll see if I can catch one of their performances.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday, love your list it's very mixed and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've tried to put a variety of things on the list to keep me interested.

      Delete
  9. ooh, forgot to say Happy Birthday! So I'll say it now.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a really lovely day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did have a great day, Daniel came home from York and I spent the day with family.

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday Jo! Now this is a great idea - I think I've lost touch with what's popular nowadays as I'd not heard of this trend. I always find I am much more likely to complete something if I write it down than if I just think about it in my head in a "I've always wanted to...." type of way. Can't wait to see the next 25 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do love a list, that's where my Filofax comes in. It's great to tick things off as they're completed.

      Delete
  12. That sounds like a very doable list. I'd like to see an opera and a Shakespearian play too. Love trains and never pass up a chance to take one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing's made it on to the list unless I think there's a chance of me actually doing it. It will be interesting to see just how many I've managed to get done in two year's time.

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday! That's quite an ambitious list you have prepared, so you're going to be busy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am, but most things are going to be enjoyable so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

      Delete
  14. Awww Happy Birthday Jo. xx:-)
    I love the idea of the 'to do' list, you have some great things on there. I made a list of things at the beginning of the year i wanted to do and it's been lovely being able to cross them off, gives you a sense of achievement.

    I look forward to seeing the other 25 things are on your next post.
    Have a great night and enjoy your meal.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I decided to do a list a little while ago and I've been adding things to it since then, I'm looking forward to getting started on it now. We had a great night and all enjoyed the meal.

      Delete
  15. Happy birthday, Jo, I hope you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did, we all went out for a meal last night to a local restaurant, it was very nice.

      Delete
  16. Happy Birthday and what a superb list. I'm sure you'll enjoy ticking them off in the years before your 50th.
    xx
    PS The illuminations were switched on last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There's some things I'm really looking forward to doing on the list so I shall definitely enjoy ticking those off. I saw something on TV about the illuminations being switched on, that's what prompted me to add it to the list, it's ages since I've seen them and they're such a spectacle.

      Delete
  17. I'd recommend visiting Snowdonia and the LlÅ·n Peninsula area of Wales... It's so beautiful up there.

    I've started a "bullet journal" in an attempt to actually keep at it. Usually, I'll start a diary or a journal, but it tends to get forgotten after a few days or so. I'm about to complete my 2nd week of bullet journalling, so it's keeping me at it so far.

    Good luck with your 50 before 50... Maybe I should do a 40 before 40! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendations, they're areas I shall look in to. I do have my Filofax which I use all the time but as for my actual journal, I can go months without writing in it. I do enjoy it though, I like looking back at old entries. Definitely do a 40 before 40, I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to my list.

      Delete
  18. Happy birthday Jo! I'm sure you're having a lovely day. I hope you get to do all the things on your list in the next two years. Congratulations on reaching your sixth blog anniversary too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had a lovely day with family. I shall do my very best to tick off everything on the list in the next two years, it will be fun to do so.

      Delete
  19. Happy Birthday.Get cracking on that list!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I shall be starting on the list very soon.

      Delete
  20. Wishing you a very happy birthday Jo, and many happy returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had a great day with family.

      Delete
  21. Belated birthday wishes Jo. I hope you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did. Daniel came home from York to spend the day here and we all went out for a lovely meal last night.

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just popping by - so glad you had a lovely birthday. I received a lovely surprise for my 60th from hubby - a wonderful eternity ring. He's been saving up in a secret account - so touched and humbled xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely. I think surprises are always the best.

      Delete
  24. Sorry it's a little late but Happy Birthday for yesterday. I hope you had a fantastic day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We did, I enjoy nothing better than spending the day with family.

      Delete
  25. Happy belated birthday, Jo! I hope you had a wonderful day, my friend. This list is fabulous, so many good things to try before you turn 50. I have two more years til 40, maybe I should try this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I had a lovely day. This is just half of it, another twenty five things to come yet. You should definitely make a list, I'm sure it's going to be lots of fun.

      Delete
  26. A very happy birthday for yesterday. I'm 6 months closer to 50 than you, so about the same age, it certainly is flying by. I love your list, what a good idea. If you find a good Christmas market, I'd love to know about it. Looking forward to the next 25. Enjoy the rest of your birthday weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think there'll be a few of us celebrating our fiftieth birthdays around the same time. I've heard that Lincoln Christmas Market is supposed to be good, I haven't been myself though.

      Delete
    2. I've heard it's very crowded and not very wheelchair friendly, but I'd love to hear your opinion if you go xx

      Delete
    3. I think most of the Christmas markets are very crowded, I know the one in Leeds is, I get quite claustrophobic myself if those crowds.

      Delete
  27. Belated birthday wishes Jo. All the best people are born in September you know and its mine in three weeks! Love the list, perhaps I should write a similar one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Ha ha, we're a special lot indeed. Definitely write a similar list, I'm looking forward to getting started on mine.

      Delete
  28. Happy belated birthday Jo, I hope you had a wonderful day. I like your 50 before 50 list and that they're achievable goals. Have fun ticking them off :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had a lovely birthday, another year gone though, time's going by so fast. I'm sure I'll have lots of fun with my 50 before 50 list.

      Delete
  29. Happy birthday Jo, hope you have a lovely day. I like your list, fun way of doing all those things we just seem to put off xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've been compiling the list for a while now, each time I've thought of something I've jotted it down.

      Delete
  30. Happy Birthday!!! I hope that you have a wonderful couple of years doing all of your challenges, they sound like really interesting things to get up to. Have fun! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My list will certainly give me plenty of things to do over the next couple of years, it will be fun trying to complete them all.

      Delete
  31. Many good wishes for your birthday Jo, it sounds as if you had a lovely day.

    Your list looks a very interesting mix and you should certainly have fun doing them.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I had a lovely day spent with family. There's lots of fun things on the list so I should enjoy working my way through them.

      Delete
  32. A great list, it did make me smile as I did quite a few of those on my recent week away. Tywyn is a lovely place in Wales to visit, Cardigan Bay where you get the best of both worlds with mountains and sea. I did a blog post last summer of our visit to a friends caravan.
    Belated Happy Birthday wishes to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know many places in Wales so it's nice to have some recommendations. I shall have a look at your blog post from last year. Thank you.

      Delete
  33. Late but from the heart: Happy Birthday!
    I tried a food I had never eaten before last weekend (mealworms, crickets and a locust)... Love your list, it is always good to have something to aim for. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Urgh, I wasn't quite thinking along those lines, ha ha. I shall enjoy getting to grips with the list.

      Delete
  34. Happy birthday! Awesome list, and very inspiring! I've started mine on Pinterest! (are you on Pinterest? I love it!) You can see it here;
    https://uk.pinterest.com/angeljem5/50-things-to-do-before-im-50/
    Have a great week and a fantastic two years to fit everything in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm not on Pinterest so I can't see your list, I hope you're going to put it on your blog too. Perhaps you could write a post as you cross each thing off your list as I intend to do with some of mine.

      Delete
  35. What a fantastic idea. I love lots of these ideas. I wish I could swim, I'd definitely do that on my own if I could, I think it would be a great way to get some regular exercise.
    I second the opera and Shakespeare ideas, after seeing them myself for the first time recently I say go for it!
    I am looking forward to your workshop outing whatever it may be and the trip to the gallery as I hope you'll blog about them and then we can join in too!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots of places that do adult swimming lessons, you should go and learn, it's such a great thing to be able to do and it's really good exercise too. I'll definitely blog about lots of the things I do as I do them, I'm looking forward to getting started on the list.

      Delete
  36. Happy belated birthday jo, I hope you had a good one. Loved this list, btw, you'll love Wuthering Heights, so moody and atmospheric. Go get that health check gal, my hubs did and they found something that could have been a problem, he ended up in hospital this week but is now home and sorted. Health is everything and if you catch something early there's no issue. Lovely to have that reassurance too.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I had a lovely birthday. I've seen the film of Wuthering Heights but have never read the book. I hope your husband is on the mend now, these health checks are so important, I've heard of so many people who have caught things early because of them.

      Delete