Tuesday 1 May 2012

Welcome To May

After the wet April we've experienced, I'm hoping that May brings with it some better weather. It's not looking hopeful yet, another grey, drizzly day here in Yorkshire, and the weather forecast tells us that it's going to be the coldest May for a hundred years, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.


The flowers brightening up my house at the moment are these gorgeous yellow sunny chrysanthemums. I can't help but smile whenever I glance at them. They were a bargain too, only £2.50 from Tesco and there were an extra 50% included too, so I've managed to split them and they're cheering up two rooms. They last such a long time as well.


Earlier on in the month I visited Ikea and saw this pot of crocus for the princely sum of 49p. They don't last long once they bloom, but I don't care at that price. The bulbs are dying down in the greenhouse at the moment, but I'll plant them out in the garden so they'll hopefully bloom again next year.

I've managed to have flowers in the house ever since the beginning of the year so far, so I'm doing well with the challenge I set myself.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, Happy May 1st! Coldest in 100 years? Oh no! I long for Summer. Good job I've got lots of wip's xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers look lovely. I don't mind if it's a bit cold this May but wouldn't it be nice to see some blue skies and less rain? All the best, Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been longing for some warm weather. We had a few days last week and then it's turned colder again. Rainy day in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunshine in a vase is the next best thing when the real stuff is lacking.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a brilliant idea to have flowers in the house all year round.Your crocus are a bargain at that price and hopefully they will come back again next year.I often buy pots of bulbs, well leaves actually the flowers have usually gone!, at bargain prices and they usually flower the next year.
    Thanks for the comment on my blog about family trees.I am sending for certificates now when i can afford it because sometimes that is the only way to progress things.Unfortunately you can only do that for registrations after a certain date, but it has enabled me to unearth a bit more.
    So fed up with the weather, we go away soon and am hoping for some dry days!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those flowers look beautiful and you make a good point, that you can have blooms in the house without it costing the earth.

    I have a little bunch of forget me nots in a jug. I love them.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty flowers always brighten up a room, if I had lots more garden space I would love to have a cut flower patch..........what a bargain price you paid for your lovely bunch. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all your lovely comments.

    Sft - It will be interesting to see how much I've spent on flowers to keep my house filled throughout the year. I'm hoping that I can grow some at the allotment so that I don't have to buy as many in summer.

    ReplyDelete